MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

APPLES, APPLES, APPLES


We spent a wonderful afternoon yesterday with Shirley, a third generation apple grower.  Soon I will post all the great facts we learned about apple varieties, apple storage, and apple growning.  But first I have to wrap my mind around all the facts so I can write them out for you.  The big thing that I learned was to never store apples in a pretty bowl or out in the open.  THEY NEED TO BE IN THE REFRIGERATOR OR OTHER COLD PLACE.  Shirley said that an unheated garage that is attached to the house mades a good place to store them if you put them up against the house side.  She empties out her refirgerator vegetable bins and stores the apples in them.

I am happy to announce that in December when all the farm work is finished, Shirley will be starting a blog.  She is a Home Economics graduate from Michigan State University with 38 years of teaching experience.  Her Grandfather started the apple, cherry and asparagus farm that she and her husband, Bob, run.  I have learned so much from her and will keep you posted as to when she comes on line.

Meanwhile here are posts that I have written about her:

http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2010/05/even-very-shy-person-like-i-am-can-meet.html

http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2010/08/peach-buying-tips-and-ripening-hints.html

http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2010/08/our-cherryberry-lady-from-muskegon.html

No comments:

Post a Comment