MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Friday, October 22, 2010

VOTED THEE BEST PUMPKIN BREAD

Pumpkin bread baked in a pumpkin patch molded pan.  Enjoy!!!

Originally from a Utah family’s self-published cookbook, the bread baked from this recipe is always a mega-hit. I can’t find the book or I would give them credit. I will find it someday and I will post the title and authors.

I usually don’t like recipes that contain commercial mixes because the mixes change or are taken off the market and you are left with an unusable recipe. I also like to avoid the chemicals used in mixes, but this bread is so good I over-look my principles for this recipe.

This bread is so easy and quick to make you will never buy a commercial pumpkin bread mix again. Once the ingredients are measured out, they are just put in a bowl and beaten together.

No need for butter or cream cheese, this bread is delightful as is.  Enjoy!

Tom took this bread to the church Christmas tree sale and everyone raved about it. Nelda, my dear friend and cookbook buddy, never uses any other recipe for pumpkin bread since I found this one. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

UTAH PUMPKIN BREAD-VOTED THEE BEST
I make this in many different sizes of bread pans. I just adjust the baking time accordingly. I like to replace some of the oil with applesauce for nutritional reasons and doing so does not affect the quality of the bread.

5 eggs
1 ¼ c vegetable oil, half applesauce-half oil works well
1 can (15oz) solid-pack pumpkin, I used half of a 29oz. can
2 c flour
2 c sugar
2 pkg. (3oz. each) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mixes, used as is from the box
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
½ t salt

Ingredients:  Flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, canned solid-packed pumpkin, cooking oil, and eggs.

In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, pudding mixes, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add oil and pumpkin; beat until smooth. Gradually beat dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture. Pour batter into greased loaf pans. Bake in preheated 325° oven for 30 minutes for miniature loaf pans, 45 to 50 minutes for medium pans or larger pans 55 to 60 or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.

I am a sucker for molded pans.  Probably because when I was young, I would see these wonderful European breads baked in gorgeous shapes and I couldn't buy any fancy pans until the Bundt pan was introduced in this country. 

I add applesauce to the oil.

Measure flour and sugar into a bowl.

Add boxes of pudding mix.

Add cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.

Mix all the dry ingredients together.

Measure oil; add applesauce if desired.

Put the eggs into a large bowl.

Spray decorative pans with cooking spray that contains flour.  Make sure the surface is completely sprayed with no dry spots.  Spray other baking pans with cooking spray.

Add oil and pumpkin to eggs.  Beat well together.  Directions call for beating each ingredients in separately but I just beat all together.

Add dry ingredients and beat well or gradually beat in dry ingredients.  Either way works well.

Batter is ready for pans.

I baked miniature pan, 30 minutes.  I baked medium sized pans for 45 minutes.  The large pumpkin pan I baked 60 minutes.

Cool baked breads on wire rack.

Take breads out of the pans and enjoy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment