MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Saturday, October 2, 2010

THE LAST WORD ON FREEZING PEPPERS

FROST is in the weather forecast.  This maybe the last weekend to find peppers in at the Farmer's Markets in this area.  So here are my findings on freezing peppers for use during the winter.

I was so surprised when I read in a magazine that America's test kitchen found  there was no sense in freezing peppers as they lost all their flavor.  I am just a old lady in a tiny kitchen, I have trouble rolling out the crust for Apple Pie, Oh My Pie For A Crowd, because I have such limited counterspace.  Who am I to disagree with them?  However, I have frozen peppers for years and have been happy with the results.

I have asked growers at the Farmer's Market if they had trouble freezing peppers.  All said they, too, froze peppers for the winter.  Last week I met Jobey's at the Grand Haven Farmer's Market.  She has a greenhouse and farm north of here in Norton Shores.  She had beautiful Thai peppers.  She told me that they were especially hot as they were Northern Thai peppers.  I asked her how she dried them, thinking maybe I should try another way to store peppers.  She told me that she didn't dry them.  She just put them in a zip-lock plastic bag and stuck them in the freezer. 

I say Jobey has the last word on freezing peppers.  She says they freeze just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment