MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Sunday, October 31, 2010

OLIEBOLLEN (DUTCH FAT BALLS), DAY OF THE DEAD AND ART PRIZE CONTINUED

For years I have wanted to make the anise flavored, orange scented Day of the Dead bread from Mexico. Here it is Halloween and again, I haven't gotten to it. This has to do with a problem Katrinka presented to me yesterday.

Oliebollen under a heat lamp at Dutch Heritage Day.

I decided I must start months in advance if I want to do projects for the different holidays throughout the year. This week I am going to concentrate on New Year's Eve and Oliebollen (Oh-Lee-Bow-Len) or Dutch Fat Balls. Every culture has its good luck food for the coming year to be eaten either on New Year's Eve or Day. For the Dutch, one of the foods is Oliebollen. This week I will post two of the seventeen recipes I have collected for Fat Balls. One is served at the Tulip Festival and Dutch Heritage Days. The other is a very old recipe that came across the sea with an immigrant mother of a friend. Both recipes are wonderful.  I hope you enjoy them both and have an excerise plan in place to remove the Oliebollen from your hips.

Inside a Fat Ball plump with raisins.

ART PRIZE CONTINUED
There were so many entries in this years Art Prize and I have only showed a few so today I thought I would add more of them for your enjoyment.

This is a GIANT nest.  At first I thought I don't want to meet the bird that built that nest.  Then I thought maybe the bird would care for me like the Eagles care for their young on the Eagle cam at Sidney, Canada.

Long hall draped with an exhibit. 

First prize winner was Calalry, American Officers, 1921 by Chris LaPorte.  An enormous No.2 pencil drawing done from a photograph the artist found.

The detail and the size were unbelievable.

This is Vision, one of the Top 10, which was just paint lines on multiple layers of silk.  Outstanding to see in person.

I loved this wave, river, beach, of different colored glass.

Outside this piece is the reflecting pool in the Art Museum's courtyard



No comments:

Post a Comment