MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Saturday, October 23, 2010

CHEF JOSE CALIFORNIA TURKEY CLUB SANDWICH

Chef Jose

On Tuesday we spent a lovely day in chemo with Jose.  A chef, Jose, last week he gave use the tip to use brown sugar in salsa and also what to do with tomatillos.  See
http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2010/10/joses-tips-for-salsa.html

Tom decided he wanted a sandwich from the Cherie Inn.  I asked Jose if I could pick him up a sandwich too.  He said he had his famous chutney, crackers and bleu cheese for his lunch.  Yum!!  We started talking about sandwiches.

http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2010/10/cherie-inn-burger-michigan-cottage.html

He asked if I had ever had a CALIFORNIA TURKEY CLUB SANDWICH.  I hadn't.  He told me it was his favorite sandwich and was made like a traditional turkey club, but in addition to the turkey, bacon, lettuce and tomato, it had a fried egg and avocado in it.  He said the good avocado fat balanced the bad fat of the egg and bacon.

The beginnings of the club sandwich are debated. However James Beard wrote in his American Cookery, “it is one of the great sandwiches of all time and has swept its way around the world after an American beginning. Nowadays the sandwich is bastardized because it is usually made as a three-decker, which is not authentic (whoever started that horror should be forced to eat three-deckers three times a day the rest of his life).” I agree with Beard as I don't like the third piece of bread in my sandwich although I am eager to try making Jose's California Club Sandwich with just two pieces of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment