MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Monday, April 19, 2010

NELDA'S GREEK CHICKEN

An easy, make-ahead chicken dish looks elegant and tastes even better. This recipe is a must to have in your kitchen files. If you desire a gravy to drizzle over the breasts, use CHEF NORBERT DILL’S SCHNITZELBANK’S GRAVY FOR ANY MEAT FROM GRAND RAPIDS MAGAZINE found under the LAMB SHANKS RECIPE. I only made three breast this time as there is just the two of us and I am trying to clear out my freezer. The spinach/cheese stuffing that was left-over I made into a chip dip by putting into a oven-proof dish, sprinkling with Parmesan cheese and baking until the cheese on top of the dip puffed slightly and the edges were bubbly and starting to brown.


NELDA’S GREEK CHICKEN
I changed Nelda’s delicious recipe by omitting the bacon and flour. I make and stuff the chicken breasts as directed. After placing the stuffed breast directly in a baking pan (I don’t use a rack), I spray with Crisco cooking spray and sprinkle with paprika and Greek seasoning and bake as directed. Spraying the breasts with the cooking spray allows the paprika and Greek seasoning to adhere to the meat. I also like the chicken breasts sliced and served cold on a salad.

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I use whatever is in the package, 3 to 6)
Salt and pepper
1 pkg. (10oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
1 pkg. (6oz) feta cheese, crumbled
½ c mayonnaise (or just enough to bind spinach and cheese together)
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ c flour (I omit)
½ t paprika
12 strips bacon (I found the bacon did not add anything to the recipe)
Greek seasoning (I added this)

Cut pocket in the thick side of each breast. Season inside of the pocket with salt and pepper to taste. Combine spinach, cheese, mayonnaise and garlic. Stuff into chicken breasts pockets. Combine flour and paprika. Lightly coat chicken breasts. Wrap 2 strips bacon around each chicken breast. Arrange on baking rack in baking dish. Bake at 325°, uncovered, for 1 hour or until done. Breast meat must be cooked to 160°F. NOTE: May be prepared ahead and refrigerated or frozen. Thaw in fridge before baking.


Squeeze the liquid from the spinach.  I use my hand, not a tea towel, as I don't want to deal with a spinach stained tea towel.

Cut a pocket in thickest part of the breast.

The pocket.

The spinach/cheese mixture.

Stuffing spinach/cheese mixture into pocket.

Topping spinach/cheese dip with cheese.

Spray breasts with Crisco cooking spray so the spices will adhere.

Sprinkle with paprika.

Sprinkle with Greek Seasoning if desired.  We buy ours from the ladies at the Greek Orthodox Church.

Ready to bake.

Chicken and dip after baking.

Spinach dip and pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment