MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Saturday, April 17, 2010

DUTCH APPLE COFFEE CAKE (NEDERLANDSE APPEL KOEK)

May 1st is the first day of the Holland, Michigan Tulip Time Festival celebrating over 80 years of Dutch culture, heritage and beauty. Over a half million tulip bulbs are planted in city parks and along city streets. The Tulip Lanes are 6 miles of city streets planted with tulips along side of them. The Windmill Island has the last windmill allowed to leave the Netherlands, DeZwaan, a 248 year old working mill. The Island has over 150,000 tulips as well as other attractions. Our favorite Tulip Time activity is the Dutch Marktplaats in the Civic Center where Dutch food is served.
DUTCH APPLE COFFEE CAKE (NEDERLANDSE APPEL KOEK)
I have no family Dutch recipes. I know my Grandma, who was from Amsterdam, pickled her own herring in Arizona in the 1940’s and 1950’s.  I wish I had her recipe. So for Dutch recipes I comb old church cookbooks, search for old editions of cookbooks printed in the Dutch area of Michigan and now with the internet, I look on line. This recipe is from the Dutch Market in Ontario, Canada http://www.dutchmarket.com/ The coffeecake is a delightful mixture of tastes and textures. The addition of Gouda cheese sends it over top. We will definitely be making this many more times.

¾ c light sour cream
1 ¼ t baking powder
1 2/3 c all purpose flour
½ t salt
1/3 c unsalted butter
½ c extra finely granulated sugar, Baker’s Sugar
1 large egg
1 t vanilla extract
3 Granny Smith apples, I used 2 ½ apples about 4 cups
8 oz mild Gouda cheese, cut in wedges
2/3 c dark brown sugar
½ c slivered almonds or hazel nuts

Mix the sour cream and baking powder in a bowl, set aside. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and salt. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and extra fine sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract, beating until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream to the butter mixture. Mix well. Add the flour and salt mixture and again, mix well. Grease a 9" square pan and spread 1/2 of the batter in the pan. I find a small off-set spatula helps to spread the batter. Place 3/4 of the apples and cheese wedges in a concentric circle on top of the batter, I put them in straight rows across the batter. Add remaining batter and top with the rest of the cheese and apples. Mix the brown sugar and nuts; sprinkle on top of the cake. Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees. NOTE: I am tempted to try grating the cheese next time I make this coffeecake.  I am not a big fan of the Granny Smith apple and next time I think I will a Michigan Gala apple.  Daughter-in-law would rather have light brown sugar on it instead of the dark brown sugar.

Spread half the batter into the bottom of a 9x9-inch pan.

Place apple slices and Gouda cheese on top of batter.

Bake.


Grab a fork and a cup of coffee.  Eet Smakelijk!

No comments:

Post a Comment