MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Sunday, April 11, 2010

NELDA'S BREAKFAST PIZZA

MY DEAR, DEAR FRIEND

I put the name of the person who gives me a recipe on the title line when I type recipes into my books. One name you will see frequently on my recipes is Nelda. We have never lived in the same town, rarely in the same state, but she and her husband Mike are my dearest friends. We met in 1969. They have seen me through the good times and the not good at all times. Nelda and I share the same passion, cookbooks and recipes. As soon as she or I get a good recipe a copy goes in the mail to the other person. We have done this for over forty years now. We are such close friends that all one of has to do is think about the other and the phone will ring. Usually the first thing we say is, “I was just thinking about you!”


NELDA’S HAM AND EGG PIZZA

"Awesome!" was what youngest son and his son said when they tasted this pizza. It is easy and the flavor is divine. I made the pizza Denver-style like a Denver omelet by adding red bell pepper and red onion to the recipe. This is the kind of recipe that gives you leeway to change the meat, change the cheese, and add different toppings, whatever. All the ingredients can be prepared at night so then all you have to do in the morning is unroll the crescent rolls, top the pizza and bake for a wonderful breakfast or brunch dish. I did not have a 12-inch pizza pan so I made mine on a 10x14-inch pan using half the pan. Now I have an excuse to go to my favorite “toy store” to get a pizza pan.



1 tube (8oz) refrigerated crescent rolls
3 eggs
2 T milk
1/8 t black pepper
2 c cooked ham, finely chopped
1 c frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 c Cheddar cheese, shredded, I use sharp Cheddar
½ c Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 T red onion, chopped fine
2 T red bell pepper, chopped fine

Unroll crescent dough and place on a 12-inch pizza pan. Press dough onto the bottom of the pan and ¼-inch up the sides, sealing seams and perforations. Bake in preheated 375° for 5 minutes. In a small bowl, beat eggs, milk and pepper. Set aside. Sauté onion and bell pepper in a small fry pan until wilted but not browned. (When using fresh vegetables on pizza it is always better to lightly sauté them to remove some of their liquid before putting on a pizza.) Sprinkle pre-baked crust with ham, hash browns, Cheddar cheese and pepper/onion mixture. Carefully pour egg mixture over cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Return pizza to oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes longer or until eggs are completely set.


I don't have a 12-inch pizza pan so I used half of a 10x14-inch jellyroll pan.
Carefully pour egg mixture onto pizza, keeping it inside the outside edges
Looks good enough to eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment