MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Thursday, April 8, 2010

3 B’s MUFFINS--BANANA, BRAN and BLUEBERRY


If my Dad hadn’t told me I should never say "I love" to something that could not love me back, I would say I love old cookbooks. They are such a wonderful glimpse into decades gone by and the lives of the people who proudly gave their recipes to be published. The ingredient lists are a reflection of what was available in the stores and the tastes of the time. To me, they are a goldmine of information. This muffins recipe is a combination of two recipes found in Prize Winning and Selected Recipes from the Kalamazoo Gazette Saturday Recipe Pages November 1934-May 1935. In addition, I had to add my own little spin to the mix. Our Minister thought the muffins were applause-worthy. I like the fact that they are good for you as well as tasting good.

When I have bananas past their prime, I peel them and stick them in a freezer bag in the freezer until I have enough to bake something with them. They are also very easy to mash after being frozen.

I dislike peeling a cupcake paper off my muffin or cupcake and having half of my treat stuck to the paper. To avoid that happening, before putting batter into the cupcake paper spray inside of paper with non-stick baking spray. After baking, the cupcake paper will peel right off with no baked goods stuck to it.


3 B’s MUFFINS--BANANA, BRAN and BLUEBERRY

1 ½ c flour
3 t baking powder
½ t baking soda
½ t salt
½ t ground allspice
¼ c butter
½ c sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 c Kellogg’s All-Bran cereal
1 ½ c mashed bananas
2 T water
1 c fresh or frozen blueberries

Put flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and allspice into a small mixing bowl; stir well to combine. In a separate mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Add All-Bran and beat well. Stir blueberries into flour. Add 2 tablespoons of water to mashed bananas. Stirring with a spoon, add flour mixture alternately with bananas. Stir until combined. Put cupcake papers in muffin tins. Spray inside of papers with non-stick cooking spray. Using an ice cream scoop, put batter into papers. Let muffins set for 30 minutes, and then bake in preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes or until brown and top springs back when lightly touched. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, and then remove muffins from muffin tin.



See how clean the cupcake paper comes off after it has been sprayed before batter is put into it?  Doesn't that look like a praise worthy muffin?

No comments:

Post a Comment