MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Thursday, April 1, 2010

ITALIAN SUB MICHIGAN-STYLE

With this beautiful weather, we are having another picnic. When I order oil and vinegar on a sandwich I end up wearing it which is why I value this recipe even if I am not real fond of black olives.

SAULT SAINT MARIE OLIVE SPREAD FOR SUBS
I first had this spread in 1966 on a sub sandwich purchased from a little, tiny sandwich shop located right by the Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie, MI in the Upper Peninsula. The locks are where the huge lake freighters are lifted or lowered because of the difference in the lake levels between Lake Superior and Lake Huron. I don’t particularly like black olives, but the olive pieces become like little sponges of Italian dressing. Wow, I have been making this for 44 years.

Finely chopped black ripe olives
Italian salad dressing

Mix dressing with olives and let marinate. Use as a spread on sandwiches. Keeps well, covered, in the refrigerator.



I am always looking for different ideas. A couple of months ago, I had lunch with a dear friend, Patricia Sparrow, at the Hearthstone Restaurant in Muskegon, Mi. I ordered their East Coast Italian Sandwich and when it arrived it was a cold sandwich but the pepperoni and salami had been sauteed or grilled until the edges were crispy. I knew I had to remember that idea.




When making sub sandwiches, I carefully hollow out the inside of the bread to make more room for the filling to nestle into the roll.




ITALIAN SUB MICHIGAN-STYLE

French roll, lightly toasted if desired, insides removed
Fully cooked ham slices
Salami, sauteed or grilled until edges crisp and drained on paper towels
Pepperoni, sauteed or grilled until edges crisp and drained on paper towels
Sliced Provolone cheese
Lettuce
Tomato slices
Sweet onion slices, to taste
Olive spread

On the bottom slice of bread spread Olive Spread. Top with ham, cheese, pepperoni, salami, lettuce, tomato, onion. Spread underside of top piece of bread with Olive Spread. Close sandwich.  Eet Smakelijk! (Dutch for eat well and with taste.)


No comments:

Post a Comment