MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Saturday, January 1, 2011

DUTCH OLIEBOLLEN #2 AND/OR DUTCH APPELFLAPPEN

This recipe was brought to this country when Eliza Van Zanten Brimmer, Mother of Sharon Storms, immigrated here.  I think how hard it must of been to pack up your immediate family and leave your country especially by those who came here and knew they would never see the family left behind again.  Like Eliza, I would have packed up my recipes so I had a piece of home no matter where I ended up.


Olliebollen enjoy, enjoy!!!  Eet Smakelijk!!!

Olliebollen, Bonket, and Jan Hagel cookies are the Dutch recipes you must often find in cookbooks to represent the cooking of the Netherlands.  Oh-lee-bow-len  or Fat Balls came to the America when the Dutch still owned New York.  Olliebollen are associated with New Years, but they are also prepared for other holidays. 


This recipe calls for raisins, but currants, chopped tart apples, candied lemon peel or orange peel, or citron are also Dutch additions to Olliebollen.  I think dried Michigan tart cherries would be awesone in Olliebollen.  Appelflappens are apple slices dipped in Olliebollen batter and fried.


Appeflappen.  Until I find our how they are suppose to look, if I want apples in my batter I will just chop the apple and add to batter.  The apple in the Olliebollen is fantastic.  Eet Smakelijk!!!!   Enjoy!!!

Olliebollen or Appelflappens can be eaten hot or cold.  I do not like them cold so I microwave one at a time for 20 seconds on HIGH.  They can be frozen and reheated.  Reheat by placing frozen Olliebollen on a shallow baking pan.  Put into a 400° oven, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through.


The fried "fat balls" can be rolled or shaken in granulated sugar, powdered sugar, or cinnamon sugar.  They can also be served plain with a small bowl of sugar on the side.  Olliebollen are really easy to make and should become part of your treasured recipes.


DUTCH OLIEBOLLEN #2 AND/OR DUTCH APPELFLAPPEN
This recipe calls for lemon extract or lemon juice.  I used lemon extract and it added a delightful lightness to the flavor of the fried batter.  Some recipes call for grated lemon zest and/or nutmeg as well as cinnamon.




2 c milk, warmed, 105° to 115°
1 1/8 t yeast
½ t salt
¼ t cinnamon
¼ c sugar
1 egg
4 ½ c flour
½ c raisins
½ t lemon extract or lemon juice, optional


Ingredients:  Milk, yeast, salt, cinnamon, sugar, egg, flour, raisins and lemon extract.  For Appelflappen, an apple. 

Heat milk to 105° to 115°.  Warmer than 115° will kill the yeast if it is put directly in the liquid like it is with this recipe.  Pour milk in large bowl. Add yeast to milk. Stir well. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well with an electric mixer. Let rise until doubled. Do not punch the batter down.  Drop from tablespoon into hot oil and deep fry 3 to 4 minutes, depending on size of droplets. (I use an ice cream scoop to portion the batter into the hot oil.)  Drain on paper toweling. Roll in granulated sugar. Enjoy hot or cold.


Heat milk to 105° to 115°.


I always us a thermometer to check the temperature of liquids when I am baking with yeast.


Add yeast to milk.  Mix well.


Add rest of ingredients to milk and mix well with an electric mixer.


Finished batter.


I divided batter as I wanted to make Olliebollen and Appelflappen.  I put the batter into measuring cups which makes it easy to tell when the dough has doubled.


Add raisins to Olliebollen batter.


Mix well.


It is cold and windy here today.  Old cottages get cold when the wind blows.  I put the batters on my heating pan, set on Medium, to raise.


Cover with a clean dish towel.


Lay out paper towels for draining.  I use the ice cream scoop to put the batter into the oil.


I like to use a Fry Daddy as it doesn't use much oil.
Do not punch batter down.  Just start scooping. 

Scoop batter into hot oil.  Do not make the Olliebollen too big as the middle needs to cook.


Batter added to hot oil.


Turn over when one side is brown.


Olliebollen on paper towels.


For Appelflappen, peel apple.


Core and cut into thick rings.


Put apple slices in batter.


I used a granny fork to move the batter over the apple slice.


Remove apple slice from batter with a fork put into the cored section.


Put into hot oil.

Fry on one side.  When brown turn to cook other side.


My Appelflappen.  I need to go to the Netherlands so see how these are suppose to be made and look.


Put sugar in a brown paper bag.

Shake Olliebollen in the bag with sugar.


Crispy outside and fluffy inside.  Delicious.


Eet Smakelijk!!!!


Enjoy!!


Eet Smakelijk-eat hearty.

4 comments:

  1. My parents emigrated from Holland to the US in 1956, and we have oliebollen and appelflappen every New Years Eve. The appelflappen batter is a little different than the oliebollen dough. Mix flour and beer to a fairly thin but smooth consistency that is thick enough to stick to the apples. Add cinnamon and mix thoroughly. I usually put all my apple slices in this batter and use long skewers (think shish kebab skewers)to place into hot Crisco shortening to fry. Also handy for turning them. Remove to paper bags or newspapers to drain, then dust with powdered sugar and serve. We also use powdered sugar on oliebollen. I put 1/2 cup each of currants, raisins, golden raisins, cherry craisins, and a chopped granny smith apple into my oliebollen. My mom has also used candied fruit (the fruitcake stuff), and chopped maraschino cherries. Both pasrties reheat very nicely in the toaster oven. And you are right, they are yummy!!! Love them!

    Karen (Verrijt) Nogueras

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ever so much for the information. My family came to the United States in 1912. My Father was the son and I didn't know his Mother that well and have none of her recipes. I am always searching for Dutch recipes in old church cookbooks, people I meet, and now the internet. Any recipes you would share, I would be delighted to receive. I think it is so important to preserve our heritage and pass it to our children and grandchildren. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For appelflappen.
    Before dipping in batter, mix sugar and cinnamon. Dip the apple slices in this mix and then in the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your comment. I will definitely dip the slices in cinnamon sugar. I love doing the blog because I learn so much when people comment on the my posts.

    ReplyDelete