MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Friday, January 14, 2011

SOMETIMES IT IS STRANGE THINGS THAT GIVE US COMFORT.

KATRINKA AND IZZY. 

Tom had taken Katrinka and Izzy out to the car to wait for me.  They were getting the car warm for our trip.  I was grabbing my purse, looking for my mittens, when I passed Katrinka's orthopedic bed and got a good whiff of  dog aroma.  I am sure the majority of people would have grabbed a vacuum and a can of air freshener.  I just stood there and took a deep breath.  I love the smell of dog, especially the smell of their feet.  I love the smell of Katrinka because it means she is still with us.  She is almost 13 years old.  She has all the hip issues that German Shepherds have plus she has a German Shepherd form of ALS.  She isn't graceful anymore but neither am I with my knee problems.  She still enjoys life and loves to go anywhere we go.  She is a 5 year cancer survivor and despite her hip problems can still chase a stranger dog up the hill away from "her" property.    I stood by her bed and thought, the smell of a loved dog comforts me. 

Do you have things that comfort you that others might find strange? 

No comments:

Post a Comment