MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Saturday, January 22, 2011

BEER, WURST AND POTATO SALAD

What could be better for a tailgate party or for a celebration of a big game than meat salad? On Sunday thousands of people will be freezing as they watch the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers duke it out. I would much rather be at home eating good football party food.


Deliciously different!  Enjoy!!!!


Earlier in the week I did cooking Kielbasa with Matthew’s Secret Sauce for the Chicago Bears. The Polish are the largest ethnic group in Chicago. I wanted to do something for the Packers so I dug through my Wisconsin books for recipes. I found this recipe which I have changed a little in Recipes From Wisconsin by Laurie and Debra Gluesing.


Meat salad, perfect for a football game.  I like it served warm.

Reading the recipe I couldn’t quite wrap my tongue around the flavors. I wasn’t sure if it would be good or awful. It is wonderful and very different. The recipe calls for the salad to be served cold, but I definitely think I like it better warm.  You can still make the salad ahead of time and serve it warm.  Just pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes before serving. Since Milwaukee, not far from Green Bay, is known for its sausages and its German population I think this is a great recipe to serve as you root on the Packers or even if you are rooting against them.

BEER, WURST AND POTATO SALAD
I left out the dill weed as I am not real fond of it. If you don’t have any dill weed, but want the flavor, use a little dill pickle juice. If you like pickles in potato salad, a little finely chopped dill pickle would be good in this salad. I used small German Butterball potatoes. I would probably use more next time I make the salad. I like a waxy potato rather than an Idaho mealy-type potato for this salad.

1/3 c beer
3 T olive oil
3 T cider vinegar
1/8 t dried dill weed
1/8 t dry mustard
1/8 t dried thyme, crushed, I used fresh which I have growing in the basement
¼ t dried basil, crushed
1 T parsley, minced, I used dried because it was all I had and it is snowing heavily here
1 large clove garlic, minced
Salt
Black pepper
2 to 4 potatoes, cooked, peeled and sliced, I would use at least 4 large ones
½ large red onion, chopped
½ lb. knockwurst, cooked and sliced, I used German Wieners as I can’t get knockwurst
NOTE:  I think some finely chopped celery would be good in this salad.


Ingredients:  Beer, olive oil
cider vinegar, dried dill weed, dry mustard, dried thyme
dried basil, parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, potatoes, red onion, and knockwurst or German wieners.

If you want dill flavor and do not have dill weed, add a touch of juice from dill pickles.  Finely chopped pickles would be good in the salad if you like pickles.


In a pint jar with a cover, mix all the dressing ingredients which are the first 11 ingredients. In a bowl, combine onion, potatoes and knockwurst or German Wieners. I put the potatoes and German Wieners into the bowl while they were still very warm. Shake the dressing well to combine and pour over the salad. Mix well. Chill for at least an hour before serving.

Wash potatoes.

Put potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until fork tender.

To make the dressing, measure the beer. 

Add oil and vinegar.

Add herbs.

Add garlic.

Put into a pint jar with lid.

Shake to blend.

Use one-half of a red onion.

Chop.

Slice sausage.

Drain cooked potatoes.  Put them back in pan, put back on burner and shake pan to dry the potatoes.

Peel and slice potatoes.

Heat sausage.

Put onions, potatoes, and sausage in a bowl.

Mix well. 

Shake dressing and pour over salad.

Ready to serve.   

I definitely like this salad served warm.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I may stop at store on way home from church for some sausage to make this. I am enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment. In Grand Haven I buy my sausages at Frank's Meat Market. The German Wieners are homemade at the market.

    ReplyDelete