MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Monday, November 22, 2010

MY AUNT IRMA'S HINT FOR MAKING GRAVY


My Aunt Irma, my Mom's youngest sister.

Aunt Irma and I were making Thanksgiving Dinner one year, I mentioned that I always had trouble getting the cold water and flour to mix together without lumps.  She looked at me and said, "Don't you have a gravy shaker?"  No.  She pulled out her little aluminum cup with a cover and explained that I should have had one of these since I first started cooking.  I had one.  I just never used it.  I sure have used it ever since that Thanksgiving.

A jar with a lid works as well as a gravy shaker.  The tall copper-colored aluminum gravy shaker is mine.  The little aluminum one is one my Aunt gave to me.

Pour cold liquid first into shaker or jar.

Put flour on top.  Do not reverse the order.  If the flour is on the bottom it will not mix in well.

Shake the liquid and the flour together.

After shaking, the liquid and the flour will be well mixed with no lumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment