MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

FAMILY-FRIENDLY CRANBERRY APPLE RELISH FROM HISTORIC KALONA, IOWA

My baby turns 40 at Christmas time.  I don't know how this happened.  It was just yesterday, I'm sure, that he was riding in the little seat in the shopping cart singing songs with me.  When he was in kindergarten, he and his class made a cranberry apple relish for a Thanksgiving project that I thought was wonderful as it was sweet, crunchy, and flavored with raspberry.  I never found a recipe like it and never had time to try to duplicate it until a few years ago. 

So refreshing especially when served with a big meal.

When the children and I had to leave Missouri, a dear friend, Melva, gave me the Kalona Historical Village Cookbook.  http://www.kalonaiowa.org/village/index.html   Kalona was her home town.  I love the book.  Years later when I was looking through the cookbook I found a recipe that reminded me of the kindergarten relish.


This relish is very kid friendly.  One Thanksgiving it was all our daughter-in-law's 3 year old nephew would eat.  People who say they do not like cranberries will like this relish.


Sweet, crunchy, delicious, enjoy!!


MATTHEW’S KINDERGARTEN CRANBERRY-APPLE RELISH
This wonderful relish is not suitable for a gelatin mold.


1 pkg. (12oz) cranberries
2 large apples
1 ½ to 2 c sugar (I use 1 ½ cups)
1 pkg. (3oz) raspberry gelatin
3/4 to 1-1/2  c boiling water (I use 3/4 to 1 cup)


Ingredients:  Sugar, cranberries, raspberry jello and apples (I used three as mine were not large apples).


Grind or chop cranberries. Chop or finely dice apples. (I use a food processor and pulse the motor on/off until fruit is chopped the desired size. I chop the cranberries separately from the apples.) Combine the cranberries and apples in a bowl; add sugar. Stir and let stand overnight in the refrigerator. Next day in a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add to cranberry mixture and chill in a dish.

Rinse off cranberries.

Wash apples.

Chop or grind cranberries.  I put in food processor and pulse until chopped.
  
Chopped cranberries.

Put cranberries in a bowl.

Core apples and cut each into 8 pieces.

Chop apples or pulse in a food processor.

Apples all chopped.

Put apples into bowl with cranberries and add sugar.

Stir cranberries, apples and sugar together.  Refrigerate overnight.

Mixture after refrigeration.

Put gelatin in a small bowl.

Add boiling water to gelatin.

Stir to dissolve gelatin.
  
Add gelatin to cranberry mixture and stir well.

Refrigerate until chilled.

Ready to serve in my Grandma's bowl with one of her serving spoons.








No comments:

Post a Comment