MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Sunday, June 6, 2010

IT’S STRAWBERRY TIME—SHORTCAKE RECIPE # 2



Strawberries at the Farmer's Market.

I wasn’t sure I would have a post today because when I started with this recipe I realized half of it was missing. I have had the recipe about 8 years and it intrigued me as it said that a brush with a combination of egg white and cinnamon would turn the top of the shortcake pink. Maybe if I used Ceylon Cinnamon the top would have been less brown but the China Cinnamon I used made the top brown, tasty, but brown. I foraged ahead making guesses and found I liked the final cake.

Heavenly according to Tom.

OLD CALIFORNIA SHORTCAKE
This recipe produces a moist cake with a texture that reminds me of my Grandma’s cakes. The cinnamon topping compliments the strawberries beautifully. I like the cake so well I will be making it with vanilla extract instead of cinnamon and leaving the top plain the next time for a cake to frost. I have no cake recipes of my Grandma’s as she never measured any thing just a handful of this, a pinch of that.

Ingredients.
½ c butter, softened
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2 c flour
1 t baking powder
½ t cinnamon
½ c milk
TOPPING
1 egg white
1 t cinnamon

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and ½-teaspoon cinnamon. Mix well and set aside. In another bowl, beat the butter until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat well. Add the two eggs and beat until very light. Add milk alternately with the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Put batter into an 8x8-inch baking pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray. Smooth out the top of the batter. Beat the egg white and 1-teaspoon cinnamon. Spread the egg white/cinnamon mixture on top of the cake batter. Put cake in preheated 375°F. oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and cake tests done with a toothpick.

Put dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

In another bowl, cream butter with electric mixer.

Add sugar and beat until the mixture is fluffy.

Add two eggs and beat well.

Add flour mixture alternately with milk. Beat after each addition.

Add milk and then more flour.

Scrap the bottom and sides of the bowl and stir.

Pour batter into an 8x8-inch baking pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray.

Smooth out the top of the batter.

Separate an egg.

Add one teaspoon cinnamon to egg white.

Beat cinnamon and egg white together.

Paint cinnamon/egg white mixture on top of the batter.

Bake in a preheated 375° F. oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick.

Cake cooling.

A piece of cake sliced and ready for berries.

Spoon on berries and close cake back up.

Top with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment