MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Friday, June 4, 2010

IT'S STRAWBERRY TIME!!!! RUSS'-STYLE "SHORTCAKE" CAKE

Russ' Family Restaurant is all over West Michigan, they are the “Homemade goodness people”. It is the style of restaurant that serves “American food” and was found in every small town and every neighborhood before fast food took over the market. They serve good food for an affordable price. It is the type of restaurant that families go to for a hamburger or a chicken dinner, ladies or retirees go to for lunch, or a place to stop for a familiar dessert done exceptionally well. Russ’ is known for their delicious strawberry shortcake. You could even say it is famous in West Michigan. I was there with my friend Bonnie having dessert for lunch, have to save calories somewhere. I am enjoying the cake but also analyzing it. I looked at Bonnie and said this is the old Bisquick cake. I ran to a store, after I had finished my shortcake and said good-by to Bonnie, and grabbed a box of Bisquick. The cake recipe is no longer on the box. In a “what did we do without the internet moment”, I checked the web site. I really had to search but finally found the old recipe.


RUSS’-STYLE STRAWBERRY "SHORTCAKE” CAKE
My family lived for 12 years in Missouri, The Show Me State” so I have to show them before they believe me. When they tasted my Bisquick cake they did agree it was just like Russ’. The cake seems to soak up the luscious strawberry juice better than a biscuit does. Everyone will love this recipe. I added the almond extract, I’m Dutch, we like almond.

1 ½ c baking mix, Bisquick or Jiff
½ c sugar
½ c milk
2 T butter, softened or cut into small pieces
1 t vanilla
½ t almond extract, optional, Son-In-Law doesn’t like it with almond
1 egg

Ingredients.

Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat for 30 seconds with an electric mixer. Increase mixer to medium and continue beating for 4 minutes. Pour batter into an 8-inch square pan or 9-inch round pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in preheated 350° oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Wash berries and remove tops.


Mash or slice berries and put sugar on them, to taste.

Put all the cake ingredients in a bowl.  Beat 30 seconds with an electric mixer. Increase mixer to medium and continue beating for 4 minutes.

Pour batter into an 8x8-inch baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake in preheated 350° oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Baked cake.

Cake sliced and ready for berries.

Cake with strawberries.  Just add a little whipped cream and enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment