MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Thursday, June 17, 2010

DAUGHTER'S METHOD OF FREEZING BASIL


This is my herb garden.  I use to have a magnificent garden. It was started by my Dad in the 1940’s. I continued it when I moved here in 1980. It was the first thing everyone wanted to see. It was located in a bowl of the dune. It was enchanted with hostas over four feet tall, heirloom plants and bulbs, poppies from seeds gathered in our travels, and every flower that will grow in our climate. Then came urban deer. The City did nothing for five years as the herd grew. In three years my garden was completely destroyed. Gone. What they didn’t eat, they trampled. Now instead of flowers we have deer ticks and deer droppings. So if you are in Grand Haven, watch carefully for ticks as deer ticks carry Lyme Disease.
My deck pot of basil, four different kinds.

Now I garden on my deck and hope they don’t come up on the deck as they have on other people’s decks. My basil was getting tall and needed to be cut back so it doesn’t go to seed. June is galloping along at sonic speeds and like a good squirrel; I must start to think of the coming, dare I write it, winter. This is a wonderful way to preserve the freshness of basil for winter soups, pasta and sauces.

DAUGHTER’S METHOD FOR FREEZING BASIL
Chop basil in the food processor with enough olive oil so that all the basil gets coated with oil. This keeps it from turning dark in the freezer. Freeze in ice cube trays or small freezer bags.

Topping off Ruffles basil.

I like to use all the varieties together.

Put basil leaves into food processor with metal blade and drizzle on some olive oil.

Process.

Pack into ice cube trays or into freezer bags.  I like to put it into a freezer bag and flatten it so it is easy to break off a frozen piece when I need it.  My Daughter likes to freeze it in ice cube trays.

No comments:

Post a Comment