MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Sunday, August 19, 2012

YELLOW BEETS, GERMAN BUTTERBALL POTAOTES AND ONIONS ROAST



From left to right:  Red beets, yellow beets, and carrots.


Yellow beets are never going to win a beauty contest at the Farmer's Market.  I had never tried them, but I had heard they were sweeter than the red beets.

Roasting beets has become my favorite way to cook them.  My post:  http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2011/07/roasted-beets-with-carrots-potatoes-and.html  has been very popular since last summer.  With roasting, the beets cook much faster than other methods and you don't have to peel them.  My Mother always said that all the vitamins were right beneath the skin so she didn't peel anything she didn't have to peel to eat.

I decided with the yellow beets, I would make a yellow roast, the beets, German Butterball potatoes (Yukon Gold would work well), and some onions for extra flavor.

I don't know if I would say the yellow beets were sweeter.  I would say they are delicious.  This yellow roast is a good way to introduce children to beets as they blend with the potatoes and you have to really look to spot the difference.  There is a nice texture difference between the beets and the potatoes.  Cousin Martha didn't believe me when I said there were beets in with the potatoes!


YELLOW BEETS, GERMAN BUTTERBALL POTATOES, AND ONIONS ROASTED

 
Ingredients:  Yellow beet, German Butterball potatoes, onion, salt, pepper, and olive oil. (The new Dutch salt and pepper shakers were given to me by my Daughter Dede.)




Slice the onion.



Place the onions on a cookie sheet with sides.


Remove the top and bottom from the beet.  Slice in half and then cut into thin slices.


Add the beets to the onions.



Quarter the small potatoes.  Slice larger potatoes like the beets.



Add the potatoes to the beets and onions.



Drizzle with olive oil. 



Sprinkle with salt and pepper.



Toss vegetables to coat with oil and seasonings.



Bake in a 425 degree F. oven for 10 minutes.  Turn the vegetables over and bake an additional 10 minutes.



 
Delicious!


Serve with my broiled Polish Sausage from Frank's in Grand Haven.




 Or serve with Martha's steak.  Either way the yellow beets and potatoes are a lovely compliment.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment