MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

MICHIGAN FIREARM DEER HUNTING SEASON OPENS TODAY

Matt loves to hunt and was looking forward to teaching his oldest son good hunting rules this season.  However, they are in the middle of moving and he isn't able to get away to hunt.  They eat all the meat that comes from his deer when he gets one.  Venison is low in fat, has no hormones or chemicals in it, and, if handled correctly in the field, tastes delicious. 

I use to think it was just horrible to kill a deer.  That was before the deer population in Grand Haven exploded.  The city did nothing.  We lost an incredibly beautiful garden that filled our backyard to the hungry deer.  My Dad had started the garden in the 1940's.  I continued the tradition of gardening.  Like my Dad, I have ten green Dutch fingers that just have to get in the dirt and grow things.  The garden is gone and I am still just sick about losing it.  I use to think that deer were beautiful.  Now when I see them everyday eating everything in sight, I see them as rats with hooves.  If you could shoot a gun in the city, I would take a shot at each of the seven deer that are living in my backyard.

I really like this picture of my Dad taken in the late 1940's.  I am glad he also had a sidearm when he went in the woods.  I would not have been able to handle losing him when I was a little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment