MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Sunday, November 13, 2011

IT IS TIME TO START SHOPPING FOR ST. NICHOLAS DAY

I was in Grand Rapids for Erin's indoor soccer game and I thought I had better start getting prepared for St. Nicholas Day. Time seems to be on speed dial or something, and December will be here before we know it.  After the game I headed for VanderVeen's The Dutch Store in Grandville, Mi. 


I purchased all the Dutch Chocolate Letters I needed for the grandchildren, Stroopwafels, Gouda cheese, and a present for myself.  Tom would want me to have it.  I asked the clerk if she would mind if I took some pictures in the store for my blog.  She said I could as long as I did not say anything bad about them.  I never would.  I love that store. 

Check out this link for making Stroopwafels at home,
http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2010/12/dutch-stroopwafels-or-stroopies-for-st.html

I quickly took some pictures and paid for my goodies.  This is where my shyness gets in my way.  I didn't feel right about photographing the whole store, I just took some pictures from where I was standing.  When I returned home I realized all my pictures except one were of food.

We all use to tease Tom about life was all about the food.  Cindy and Christy made a big poster of pictures for his funeral services titled, "It's all about the food."  Looking at the pictures I took, I guess that same can be said about me.


It's all about the food.
 
The Dutch Store.  For more pictures of the inside of VanderVeens and ideas for St. Nicholas Day, check out this link:  http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2010/11/getting-ready-for-st-nicholas-day-and.html

Dutch Chocolate Letters.
Slippers that look like wooden shoes.  Tom loved these slippers.

Chocolate St. Nicholas figures.

VanderVeen's Dutch deli.

Almond paste being cut from a huge wheel and packaged up.

To visit VanderVeens on a web go to: http://www.thedutchstore.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment