MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

JAN HENRI ENGBERT BUDDE MISSED THE BOAT---THE TITANIC BOAT THAT IS.

One hundred years ago this month, my Grandfather, Jan Henri Engbert Budde, from the City of Almelo Provience of Overijssel. left the Netherlands for the "streets of gold" in the United States of America.  He left by himself.  As with so many immigrants, the man left first and sent for his family after he was established.


Family portrait taken before my Grandpa left for the United States.  My Dad is the boy on the right.


Grandpa had a ticket on the Titanic.  He missed the boat.  Because the Dutch are known for being thrifty, I like to think Grandpa scalped his ticket because everyone wanted to sail on the Titanic maiden voyage and all Grandpa wanted to do was get to the States. 


He ended up sailing on the Mauretania.  The change was made at the very last minute.  Because he had no smart phone or other way to contact his family when the Titanic went down, my Grandma thought that Grandpa was on it. 


Picture of the Mauretania taken from a family purchased post card.


The rest is family history.  Because he missed the boat, my Dad came to America in October of 1912.  The Buddes have now been in the USA for 100 years.  A family of four has become a family of many.  My Dad has 15 direct descents.  That number is sure to grow as my Dad's great-children start to have children.

No comments:

Post a Comment