MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Monday, September 13, 2010

BASIL GARDENING, HARVESTING, AND FREEZING

It is getting to time start putting up my basil for winter use.  There is nothing like a fresh frozen basil to brighten a winter pot of spaghetti, soup, or just about anything savory.  Basil is used in so many recipes and is so easy to grow.  When I go out on the deck in the morning with my first cup of tea, I like to bat at the basils with the back of my hand to release their fabulous aroma.  Basil is also very easy to harvest, just pull the leaves off the stems, and freezes beautifully. 

This summer I had to garden completely on my deck as the urban deer problem is so bad in Grand Haven.  I used boxes that fit on the deck railing and was very happy with the results. 

One of my herb boxes that fit on the railing of the deck. 

Since I live in an area where there are a great many nurseries and greenhouses, I had just about every basil that was available.  Ruffles, lettuce leaf, lemon, cinnamon, Thai, sweet, ruby red, spicy Greek globe, and variegated.  I love them all.  However my heart belongs to the columnar form of sweet basil and the variegated columnar form called Pesto Perpetuo.  The reason for my love is that the columnar form does not flower and go to seed during the summer.  The other varieties that I have require constant cutting back to keep them from going to seed.  The columnar form just kept growing.  I plan to repot my two columnar types to see if I can grow them through the winter in my kitchen. 

After I harvest my basil I will use my Daughter's way to freezing it.  For my Daughter's method of freezing basil go to: http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2010/06/daughters-method-of-freezing-basil.html

Sweet basil flowering and needing to be cut back.

One of my deck pots of a variety of basils which also need to be cut back.

Columnar of sweet basil which has grown all summer without having to be cut back.

Variegated columnar Pesto Perpetuo

No comments:

Post a Comment