MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Sunday, March 13, 2011

FILIPINO CHICKEN, PINEAPPLE, POTATOES AND/OR TOMATOES IN COCONUT MILK

We love to explore ethnic restaurants.  Along with my cookbooks, eating in ethnic eateries, gives us the chance to "travel" and learn while still being close to home.  A few years ago, a Filipino restaurant opened in a town just north of us.  We were one of the first customers.  They had a number of different dishes available in a steam table.  For lunch you could pick two different entrees plus rice or noodles (pancit), and a lumpia, Filipino egg roll.  The first time we visited, the lovely server was telling us what was in each dish.  One was coconut, chicken, pineapple and potatoes.  I think I made a face as she bribed me to try it.  Of course, it became my favorite.  This is my attempt to duplicate that wonderful dish.


Chicken with pineapple and potatoes in coconut milk.  Enjoy!!!!


Unfortunately like so many small restaurants, it closed.  I kept thinking I must try to recreate that dish.  I talked with an artist from the Philippines at an art show and she told me just to saute, add and simmer.  I can create things on my own, but with ethnic dishes I really like a formula with which I can start and then add my own touches.  Just recently I found a cookbook, THE FILIPINO COOKBOOK, 85 Homestyle Recipes to Delight Your Family an Friends by Miki Garcia which had a recipe close to what I had in the restaurant that gave me the impetus to try my hand.  I hope you are delighted with my version of the recipe.


Chicken with pineapple and tomato in coconut milk.  Enjoy!!


I thought that my new Oscuro pan would be perfect for my attempt to cook this dish.  My Oscuro pan looks like a hand-made clay wok to me.  Nothing like a new toy to get one motivated to try new things.  To learn about the Oscuro pan from the Andes that  I purchased at Wealthy At Charles in Grand Rapids go to:


http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2011/03/garlicky-scallops-or-clams-with.html


The shape and color of the pan looks lovely on a table set with oriental china.


Coconut once mistakenly believed to be unhealthy because of its high saturated fat content, is now known as a good addition to our diet.  The fat in coconut oil is unique and different from most all other fats and possesses many health giving properties. It is now gaining long overdue recognition as a nutritious health food.


FILIPINO CHICKEN, PINEAPPLE, POTATOES AND/OR TOMATOES IN COCONUT MILK
The dish I had at the restaurant had potatoes in it.  The recipe in the book has a tomato instead of potatoes.  I made it both ways.  I like both the potatoes and the tomato in it.  Serve with rice; the potatoes compliment the rice which I didn't believe until I tried it.


2 T cooking oil, divided
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into cubes
1 t salt
Crush red pepper, to taste
1 can coconut milk
2 medium potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
1 tomato, sliced
2 1/2 c fresh or canned pineapple, cubed
1 T oriental fish sauce, optional


Ingredients:  Cooking oil, chicken, garlic, onion, pineapple, coconut milk, salt, fish sauce, if desired, and crushed red pepper.

Although not traditional, I like brown rice.

Potatoes.

Tomatoes.

Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium heat.  Add one tablespoon of the cooking oil.  Add chopped onion and saute until translucent.  Add garlic and red pepper.  I used about 1/2-teaspoon red pepper to start.  I added more later.  You want a warm feeling in your mouth from the pepper, but dish should not be hot.  Saute.  Be careful that the garlic does not turn brown as then it becomes bitter.  Remove onion, garlic, and red pepper from the pan; set aside.  Toss the cubed chicken with salt.  Put another tablespoon of oil in the pan and turn heat to medium- hot.  Add chicken and saute for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Do not let it get too brown.  Put the onions, garlic, and red pepper back in the pan with the chicken.  Add coconut milk, pineapple, potatoes and/or tomato.  Simmer on low-medium heat for 10 minutes.  Add fish sauce, if desired.  (I think I like it better without the fish sauce.)


Put potatoes in a pan.  Add cold water to cover and cook until fork tender.  Drain.

Cook rice according to package directions.

Skin, de-bone and cut chicken into cubes.

Toss chicken with 1-teaspoon salt.

Chop onion.

Crush garlic.

Cut pineapple into chunks.

Add a tablespoon of cooking oil to a large frying pan or wok.

Saute onion until translucent over medium heat.

Add garlic and red pepper.  Saute but do not brown.

Remove onion, garlic, and red pepper from pan; set aside.

Put second tablespoon of cooking oil in pan.  Add chicken and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned.

Chicken is done.

Add pineapple, onion/garlic mixture and coconut milk to the chicken.  At this time cooked potatoes and/or sliced tomato would be added.  I made each separately so I added them after mixture was cooked.

Simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.  Adjust seasoning if needed.

Looks delicious.

Slice tomato.

Peel and cube cooked potatoes.

Add 1-tablespoon of fish sauce to chicken mixture if desired.

Chicken, potatoes, and pineapple ready to enjoy!!

Chicken, pineapple, and tomato ready to enjoy!!

Doesn't this look good?

The Oscuro pot looks so nice as a serving dish.

Chicken, pineapple and tomato with rice.

Chicken, pineapple and potato with rice.

I really like both the tomato and the potatoes together in this dish.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment