MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Monday, July 26, 2010

WONDERFUL IDEA TO ADD TO BAKING CORN POST

I received a wonderful comment to the blog this week about Baking Corn.  The reader suggested cutting off the silk end of the corn with a scissor before putting the corn in the oven.  Cutting off the end results in less mess in the oven.  This is a great idea for those who don't vacuum their ovens regularly.  (Tom says no one but me vacuums their ovens.)

With scissors, cut off excess silk and corn husk before putting the corn in the oven.

Corn ready for the oven.  Thank you for the great tip!!

I tried doing multiple ears with a knife but the scissors works much better.

VACUUMING OUT BURNED ON GUNK FROM THE OVEN
Well, I vacuum the bottom of my oven frequently because when I make fruit pies I always try to put more fruit into the pie than is called for in the recipe. Therefore my pies always run over onto the bottom of the oven even when I put a pie tray under them some always goes onto the oven.  My pies are delicious but the oven is a mess. 

My Grandma taught me that as soon as I take the pie from the oven that I grab the salt box and liberally pour salt on the run-off from the pie.  The salt will turn the baked-on mess to a powder and make it easy to vacuum up.  This is a great tip if you don't have a self-cleaning oven.

Burned on gunk from fruit pies with salt poured on it.

Vacuuming out the salt and gunk.

No fruit gunk left but oven still needs to go through the self-clean cycle for baked on grease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment