MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Monday, July 5, 2010

BABY SHOWER PASTA SALAD--HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR OLDEST GRAND-DAUGHTER

!!!!SWEET SIXTEEN!!!!

NEWBORN.

PROUD DADDY!!!

PROUD DADDY AND HAPPY "THE KATRINKA".
(Izzy's friend is Katrinka II)

"THE KATRINKA" GUARDING BABY.

In my experience, German Shepherd Dogs are the very best dogs with children. "The Katrinka" was 9 or 10 years old when Grandchildren came into her life. Before that she had no contact with little ones, just big teenage boys who wrestled and played the rough-house games she loved. I could not believe how gentle and protective she was with the little ones. To see her play the rough-and-tumble games she played with the big boys in a gentle, very careful way with little grandson and grand daughter brought tears to my eyes.


BABY SHOWER NOODLE SALAD


This salad is so good.  Enjoy!!

A baby shower for our first grand-daughter included this Noodle Salad.  When my Oldest Son and his Wife came home from their tours of duty in the U.S. Air Force from England, I met them in Buffalo, NY, his Wife's hometown. Delighted to see them, I viewed the trip as a shy person’s nightmare, staying in a stranger’s home and helping to throw a party for a large group of strangers. I ended up having a fun time and made quite an impression when after everyone was served, I upset my loaded plate upside down on the hostess’ white carpet. The red wine vinegar dressing made a lovely colored spot!

Like any salad this one is open to your interpretation. You can add or subtract any ingredients you don’t care for and you can vary the amount of any ingredient. I have given approximate amounts of what I used this time to make the salad.

Cheese tortellini, cooked and drained (10oz. pkg.)
Raw broccoli, chopped in bite-sized pieces (2 or 3 flowers)
1 (4oz) can mushrooms, drained, in somethings canned mushrooms are just better
15 or so pepperoni slices, quartered
3 or 4 small to medium-sized carrots, grated (I chopped them fine)
1/3 to ½ of a large red onion, chopped
½ green bell pepper, chopped
10 jumbo black olives, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Red wine and oil Italian dressing (I use Kraft House Italian with a teaspoon or so sugar added)

Ingredients.

Mix together all the ingrediens in a large bowl and serve well chilled

Cook cheese tortellini according to package directions.

Before draining, remove some of the pasta water and reserve.

Drain tortellini.  Chill with ice and cold water to stop cooking.

Chop onion and carrots.

Chop green pepper.

Chop broccoli, slice olives and quarter pepperoni.

Mix all the ingredients together.

Add some of the reserved pasta water so the tortellini will not absorb too much salad dressing.  I did not use all the water pictured.

I add a little sugar to the salad as I like it a little sweeter rather than vinegary.

Dress salad with salad dressing, not too much as you can always add more after the salad is chilled.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment