MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Thursday, July 8, 2010

NELDA'S 1982 ICE BOX PICKLES

Nelda is on my mind as Mike, her husband, is having health problems. Thinking about Nelda and Mike reminds me of all the summer vacations I have spent at their home in Maine. They have always been so good to me and I value all the time they've spent with me showing me the wonders of Maine and sharing the wonderful food found there.

I kid Nelda that they run a bed and breakfast, lunch and dinner inn. Frequently for lunch Nelda will bring out a jar of these pickles from the refrigerator. This is a scrumptious pickle which requires no processing in a hot water bath and it keeps well for a week or two in the refrigerator, if the pickles aren’t eaten well before then.

Tom says, "These are the best pickles I have ever had!!"

The cute little pickle cucumbers are now available in the Farmer’s Markets and they are so much fun to use. This is a must try recipe even if you are not crazy about pickles like me.

NELDA'S 1982 ICE BOX PICKLES
3 large cucumbers, sliced, Nelda uses 5 to 6 fairly small pickling cucumbers (stem end removed)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 T plain salt, not iodized
2 t whole celery seed
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c white vinegar

Ingredients.

Mix together the cukes, green pepper, onion, salt and celery seed in a medium sized bowl; let stand 1 hour. Combine the sugar and white vinegar; pour over cucumber mixture and stir. Put into a jar or refrigerator container. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. Keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.

Slice pickles with knife or mandolin.  We have a cheap little mandolin which works well for slicing.

Chop onion and green pepper.

Put sliced pickles in a bowl.

Add salt, non-iodized, green pepper and onions.

Add whole celery seed and let set for 1 hour.

After and hour, add sugar to vinegar.

Pour sugar/vinegar mixture over pickle mixture.  Stir to combine.

Ladle mixture into a jar or refrigerator container.  Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I have had an antique Ball Jar with the old clamp lid that have been begging for a good refrigerator pickle and THIS IS IT!!! I am making a batch as soon as I get out of work on Monday. This may become a staple in our house!!! The more I explore this website, the more I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nelda will be so happy to hear about your comment. She is a retired nurse who trained back in the 1940's. She and I have been trading recipes since 1969, always looking for the best one of whatever we are making!!! So glad you like the website!!!

    ReplyDelete