MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Thursday, January 3, 2013

EGGS BENEDICT REMBRANDT'S WAY--HOW TO POACH A PERFECT EGG.

Lovely to look at, luscious and light, and delicious to taste describes the Eggs Benedict that my friend, Joyce, and I had at deBoer's Bakkerij and Dutch Brothers' Restaurant in Holland, MI. last week.  The name on the menu for this fantastic treat was Rembrandt's Way.  Joyce said to me, "Take a picture, this is so pretty it could be in a Rembrandt masterpiece."


Rembrandt's Way is a grilled 9-grain English muffin, roasted or grilled sliced tomatoes, a poached egg, steamed spinach with a light drizzle of Hollandaise sauce. 
 


HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT POACHED EGG. 
One of the reasons I enjoy doing this blog is that I learn as I go along.  When I post something, I want to make sure I am accurate and up to date on my information.  For a poached egg, I have always used the freshest eggs possible, I used a wide skillet for easy removal of the finished egg, I broke the egg into a custard cup to make putting it into the water easier, and I put some vinegar in the poaching water to coagulate the egg white quickly.


I decided to check with my new Cook's Illustrated Cookbook for any new ideas for making poaching eggs easier.  I found a much easier way to figure out the cooking time for the eggs.  Cook's recommends putting the eggs in the water, cover the skillet, and turn off the heat.  Let the egg poach for 4 minutes for medium firm eggs. 

 
 

Fill a large skillet with water and bring to a boil.  I used the large pan on the back burner.  My friend, Bonnie, doesn't cook much so she says she has to dust her stove every week.  After looking at this picture, I need to ask Bonnie to "dust" mine.  It looks awful.

 
 
Add 3 tablespoons of vinegar to boiling water and a teaspoon or so salt.
 


Crack egg into a custard cup.
 
 


Turn the heat off under the boiling water pan.  Slide egg from custard cup into water.  Cover.


 

Leave the eggs in the water for 4 minutes. 
 



 

Scoop each egg out of water with a slotted spoon.  Let drain through slots.


 
Beautiful poached eggs done to perfection. 
 
 


HOW TO MAKE A QUICK HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
 
I only needed a little bit of Hollandaise sauce for myself so I used a package mix.  I then divided it by 1/4's.  I used 2-1/2 teaspoons of the mix, 1/4-cup of milk, and 1 pat of butter.
 
I made the sauce in my Oscuro sauce pot as the clay pot holds heat and keeps my sauce warm while I assembled my Eggs.  Wonderful Oscuro pots are available at Wealthy at Charles in Grand Rapids, MI. 
 


Combine sauce mix, milk and butter.  Stir well.  Cook until thicken while stirring constantly.
 
 
 
Sauce will keep warm, but cover with plastic wrap to prevent a "skin" from forming on the top.




If you are making sauce for more than one and want to make it ahead of time.  Heat a thermos with boiling water.  Drain.  Put Hollandaise sauce in the thermos until ready to use.

If you need a terrific thermos go to:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1040294/


EGGS BENEDICT REMBRANDT'S WAY.
 
 
Ingredients:  Whole grain English muffins, eggs, spinach, tomatoes, Hollandaise sauce mix, milk, butter, salt and pepper.

 
 
 To prepare the tomatoes and eggs you need:  Olive oil, salt, and vinegar.

 
 

On my messy stove I set up a production line.  Large pan for the eggs, Oscuro sauce pan, grill, and pan of boiling water with sieve to steam the spinach.
 
 

On a grill put a little olive oil.




Lay sliced tomatoes on the oil and grill.
 



Put English muffin on grill to toast.
 
 
 
 
Steam spinach over boiling water.
 
 
 

Put grilled tomatoes on toasted muffins.



Top tomatoes with poached eggs and season eggs to taste with salt and pepper.
 
 
 
Top poached eggs with steamed spinach.
 
 
Lightly drizzle spinach with Hollandaise sauce.
 
 
 


Enjoy!



 
Enjoy, enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment