MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Thursday, June 21, 2012

TRADITIONAL DUTCH-MEXICAN FOOD RECIPE #2---LORRI'S DUTCH REFORMED CHURCH MEXICAN CHEESE DIP

Fusion cooking is combining different area of the world's traditional dishes with ingredients from dishes from a different part of the world.  I think Ryke's bakery is the first to combine Dutch and Mexican cooking. 

I imagine some would say that calling this Mexican Cheese Dip is stretching the meaning of fusion in the food world.  However, I have seen soy sauce added to a traditional European dish and the recipe was called Fusion Cuisine.  The Netherlands produces more cheese than any other country in the world.  Salsa in this country means Mexican.  My former assistant Lorri, who died too young of brain cancer, gave me this recipe that she found during a program at her Dutch Reformed Church.




The recipe Lorri gave me said that the cheese and salsa made a cheese ball.  I used a low-fat store brand of cream cheese which could have made a difference, but I ended up with a dip.  From the ingredients listed I imagine this is a recipe put out by Kraft Foods.  However, I added the green onions which everyone said made the dip extra special. 

I served this dip at a reception held after Brad's students recital in May.  It was very popular and so easy.  The dip can be made a day ahead which is always a plus for me with a recipe.


 My Grandson, Bradley, takes his teaching very seriously.

 A little extra rehearsal before the recital.


 OK, that is sounding better.

 Jera, Bradley's "intended" plays the piano for Brad's students.



I garnished the dip with shredded cheese and green onions.  I use three different corn chips for eye-appeal.


The original recipe just called for salsa and Cheddar cheese.  I feel that medium hot salsa is needed and sharp Cheddar cheese is needed to give the dip a full-flavor.  Don't worry about the medium-hot salsa making the dip too hot.  The cream cheese adds a cooling effect to the salsa.  When I make something with shredded cheese, I usually add a little extra cheese than called for in the recipe.  With cheese, to me, if a little is good, more is better.

Dip ready to serve.



LORRI'S DUTCH REFORM CHURCH MEXICAN CHEESE DIP


1 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened, I use low-fat cream cheese
1 c salsa, I use medium hot as you need some heat for the flavor
4 oz. or more finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 to 3 green onions, chopped, save a few to garnish top of dip

Ingredients:  Cream cheese, medium-hot salsa, sharp Cheddar cheese, and green onions.

With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese.  Stir in the rest of the ingredients and chill.  Garnish with a few pieces of chopped green onion, and shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese.  Serve with corn chips.


Clean two or three green onions.



Chop the onions.


Beat the cream cheese.

I wasn't happy with the results of beating the cream cheese with a fork so I brought out an electric mixer.

Mix together the salsa and cream cheese.



Add sharp Cheddar cheese and green onions.  Mix well and refrigerate to chill.


Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment