MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Friday, June 15, 2012

TRADITIONAL DUTCH-MEXICAN COOKING ----- MANGO OR PEACH SALSA WITH DUTCH PIGS IN THE BLANKET OR FISH--A DUTCH FAVORITE





Fusion cooking, blending styles from different countries or regions, has been common for quite some years.  However, I have never seen Traditional Dutch-Mexican anywhere, but at Ryke's Bakery Cafe in Muskegon, MI.  It is actually a good fit as the Dutch have been fond of spicy food since Indonesia was once a Dutch colony.




The cheap part of the wait-person's T-shirt refers to the Dutch.  The Dutch around here have a bad reputation for being cheap.  They are not cheap, they are thrifty.  The whole Dutch nation is considered thrifty since their whole economy collapsed during Tulip Mania in 1633.  Tulip bulbs were traded like stock is today.  There was a great deal of speculation involved, and like any kind of mania, as a nation we well know, there is a collapse after the speculation.  Remember the dot.com collapse?

MANGO OR PEACH SALSA
Since I was trained as a scientist, I do follow recipes especially the first time I make something.  I will make small changes to make the recipe easier or spiced to my taste.  However I have decided one doesn't need a recipe to make salsa.  I was hungry for mango salsa so I just gathered ingredients I wanted in my salsa.  There is no cilantro as cilantro tastes like soap to me.  I used Serrano peppers because I like their flavor and heat level.  You can use what you want in your salsa.

It is hard to get good mangos here.  Next time I want a mango flavor in salsa I will use frozen, unsweetened peach slices.  So much easier than cutting up mangos.

INGREDIENTS I USED:

Mango, peaches would be as good and cheaper, chunked
Red onion, chopped fine
Tomatoes, diced
Lime juice
Serrano peppers
Salt

For my salsa I used:

Mango, peaches would be as good and cheaper, chunked
Red onion, chopped fine
Tomatoes, diced
Lime juice
Serrano peppers
Salt

 A touch of honey brings a nice flavor boost and a touch of sweetness.


HOW TO CUT A MANGO

A mango has a large flat seed in the middle so cut off one side as illustrated right along the side of the seed.



Both sides of the mango are cut off leaving the seed part.



Cut the flesh of the mango off the seed part.

 


With the skin still on the flesh of the mango, score the flesh down to the skin.


Push the skin up and slice the cubes away from the skin.


Skin of mango after the mango flesh has been cut off.



Finely chopped some red onion, or onion of your choice.



Chop some tomatoes.




Juice the lime.



Combine all the ingredients and chill.

VERSION NUMBER TWO OF MANGO OR PEACH SALSA

Sweet cherry peppers make a good addition to salsa.  The cherry peppers were on a fish taco I had in a restaurant called, "Mangos" in Muskegon.  I liked the idea so I added some to my salsa.



Chop the peppers.



If you want a finer chopped salsa, just chop with a chopper until desired consistency.

TRADITIONAL DUTCH PIGS IN THE BLANKET WITH SALSA

Traditionally the Dutch use ketchup or syrup on their Pigs in the Blanket so salsa makes a nice change.


Dutch Pigs from the United Methodist Church in Holland, MI.


For a recipe for making these "Pigs" go to:  http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-make-dutch-pigs-in-blanket-6000.html



Serve Dutch "Pigs" with the salsa.
The salsa compliments the meat in the "Pigs".


Eet Smakelijk!

FISH, A DUTCH FAVORITE, WITH MANGO OR PEACH SALSA

Mango or peach salsa is excellent with fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment