MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Saturday, December 3, 2011

4 CRUNCHY VEGETABLES AND 3 FLAVORFUL CHEESES EQUAL 1 EXTRAORDINARY RETRO CHEESEBALL

In the 1960's and 1970's, it wasn't a party unless there was a cheeseball on the table.  I collected a number of good recipes and when I was thinking about a savory for Bradley's Recital Reception, a cheeseball seemed like a good idea.  He and I love to go to The Cheese Lady in Muskegon and sample cheeses.  A cheese plate would have been wonderful, but oh so expensive. 


I have always liked this recipe because of the crunchy vegetables in it.  It is lovely for Christmas with the green pepper and pimentos in it.  Because people's tastes seem to change each decade, so many do not eat nuts anymore, I made some minor changes in the recipe with which I was very happy as were the people at Brad's party.  The cheeseball was very popular.




Decorative and delicious.



The most important part of serving a cheeseball is to make sure it is at room temperature when you serve it.  If it is still cold out of the refrigerator, it is very difficult for guests to spread it on crackers. 

I found another use for my new favorite produce, nonstick foil, when making this cheeseball.  When I rolled the shaped and chilled ball in its outside coating, I found that putting the nuts or parsley on the nonstick foil kept all the coating on the ball and not on the wrapper. 






Personally I get a little antsy when someone writes

they have changed an old recipe.  I want to know

what the original recipe was.  In this case, the original

recipe called for 8-ounces of blue cheese.  I thought

that might be a little strong tasting so I reduced the

blue cheese and added some sharp Cheddar cheese.

I added some red bell pepper as well as the pimento

and green pepper.  I did not roll the ball in nuts, I 

used parsley so everyone could try it.


CRUNCHY CHEESE BALL
I really like the texture and the taste of this cheese ball.
1 (5oz.) pkg. blue cheese crumbles
2 (8oz. each) pkgs. cream cheese
4 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
3 T celery, chopped
2 T green onions, green and while parts, chopped
1/2 t garlic powder
1 small (2oz) jar pimiento, drained
Green bell pepper, chopped, to taste
Red bell pepper, chopped to taste
1 1/2 T mayonnaise, approximately
Parsley, chopped, optional
Chopped nuts, optional
Ingredients:  Cream cheese, celery, green onions, garlic powder, nuts, blue cheese crumbles, pimentos, mayonnaise.

I added Sharp Cheddar Cheese and red bell pepper.



I used chopped parsley instead of nuts.
Bring cheeses to room temperature.  With an electric

mixer, mix cheeses together.  Add the rest of the

ingredients EXCEPT the parsley or nuts.  Mix well.

Refrigerate until you can handle it to form a 

ball.  Put nuts or parsley on nonstick aluminum foil.

Put the chilled ball on the nuts or parsley and roll the

ball in the topping of your choice.  Wrap well in

aluminum foil and store at least 24 hours in the

refrigerator before serving.  SERVE AT ROOM

TEMPERATURE.
Softened cheeses and mix well.


Looks good.

Drain pimentos.


Chop vegetables.

Mix cheeses, garlic, mayonnaise and vegetables together.

Mixed and ready to form.


Form into a ball, wrap up, and chill.


Roll in parsley or chopped nuts.


Wrap well and chill overnight.  Bring to room temperature before serving.

Ready for the party.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment