MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Monday, April 4, 2011

IT MUST BE THE SALT!!!!

I haven't eaten any homemade food in 3 days.  I am researching hospital food and fast food.  I am blowing up like a water balloon.  I think it must be the salt as it surely can't be the calories.  Oh please don't let it be calories.

When I watch chefs on TV, I am always amazed at all the salt they use.  I grew on a a low-salt diet as my Grandma lived with us and had heart trouble.  I hear chefs saying that at every stage of  the cooking process you must add salt to keep the flavor level up.   

My own thoughts on salt is to add some salt, depending on what you are making, during the cooking process, but then let everyone salt their own food  to their taste at the table.  When the salt is on the outside surface it hits your tongue immediately and adds the salty flavor without making the sodium content of the dish as high as the national debt. 

I was just reading in the paper how high in sodium so much of our processed foods is today.  Salt is even in foods that you would not suspect contain salt.  Therefore I think, add as little salt as needed to your cooking and let everyone salt to taste.  My big thought for the day!!!  I'm tired from driving back and forth from Grand Haven to Grand Rapids twice a day.  That's the best thought for the day I could come up with at the moment!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment