MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Monday, May 17, 2010

CORNED BEEF #1

CORNED BEEF , CARROTS, POTATOES AND CABBAGE
I had a corned beef in the refrigerator that I had gotten on sale. I needed to use or freeze it. I am cleaning out my freezer not adding to it!!!  I think of a “boiled” dinner as a winter dish. However I enjoyed it immensely on a spring evening. It is a good meal for a day devoted to yard work or laundry or all the other endless chores around the house as it just sits on the stove and simmers. Corned beef got its name from the coarse salt that is used in its production. Stay tuned for an out of this world corned beef croissant later this week.


1 corned beef brisket
Carrots
Cabbage
Potatoes

Ingredients.

Put corned beef and the liquid that is in the package in a large pan. Open spice packet and add to the pan. Add water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil, cover, and turn the heat down so the corned beef simmers but doesn’t boil again. The package said the meat should simmer for 50 minutes per pound which for my piece was two and half hours. An hour and a half before cooking is complete, add the carrots.  A half hour later add sliced cabbage and chunked potatoes.  When meat is fork tender remove to cooking board.  Allow to rest for 10 minutes and then slice thinly across the grain of the meat. 

Corned beef in pan with package liquid and water.

An hour and half before completion of cooking time, add carrots.  I usually like my vegetables crisp, tender but with corned beef I like them well cooked.

Remove the core of the cabbage and slice.

An hour before corned beef is done, add the cabbage and potatoes.


When corned beef is fork tender, remove vegeables to a platter.


Allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes and then thinly slice across the grain.


I like to take my plate and mash the vegetables together like a Dutch Stamppot.

No comments:

Post a Comment