MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Monday, December 3, 2012

HOW TO COOK A SQUASH WITHOUT PEELING

Sometime I write a post and think why am a doing this as everyone knows how to do it.  Later I find it has become one of my most popular posts.  I decided to do this post after a trip to Holland, Michigan.  My friend saw the Farmer's Market was open so we took very quick trip to a very cold market.  There were only two vendors at the market.  Winter squash and root vegetables were the only things available.  My friend and I discussed our favorite winter squash and found we both favored the Buttercup squash which is a part of the turban variety of  winter squash.  I like Buttercup as it is never stringy, the flesh is firm and not watery, plus it has a lovely flavor.  My friend said she loved squash but that it was so hard to peel.  I replied that I never peel it and this post is about what I do.
 
 
Winter squash have an extremely hard outside layer.  I can remember when I was little girl, my Mom would buy the big Hubbard squash which you really don't see much any more except at Farmer's Markets.  To open the squash for my Mom, my Dad would go down in the basement and chop the squash up into large pieces with an axe. 
 
 
 
The green squash are the Buttercup variety.
 
 
 
To cook squash without peeling, cut the squash in half with a sharp heavy knife.  Remove the seeds.  Put squash flesh-side down in a baking pan with a little water.  Bake at 350 degrees F. until fork tender.  Time is dependent on the size and thickness of the squash.  Remove flesh from the skin and serve. 
 
 
 
When I was at that cold windy Farmer's Market, I picked up two Delicata Squash as they have become very popular and I hadn't tried them in a long time.
 
 

 With a sharp heavy knife, cut the squash in half.  Remove seeds.
 
 

Place squash in a baking pan with a little water, about a 1/4 to 1/3 cup.
 
 
 

Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 degree F. oven until fork tender.
 
 

Fork tender.
 

 
 Scoop flesh from the skin.  Mash if desired.
 
 

 Add seasonings of your choice.  I like a little butter or rather the stuff my doctor says I should eat instead of butter.
 
 

 I served my squash with roast pork and Kapusta.
Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy.




Enjoy all the squash varieties as they good for you.  They are full of fiber and beta carotene.

No comments:

Post a Comment