MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Monday, October 3, 2011

LOVELY LEEKS ARE COMING TO THE FARMER'S MARKETS. TIME FOR A DUTCH LEEK SOUP RERUN.

This photo shows the difference in size between leeks and green onions.

Leeks were not something I was acquainted with when I was younger.  They just were not available where I lived.  In researching my Dutch roots, I found this lovely recipe for a leek and Gouda cheese soup.  Tom and I made it last year for the blog.  We loved the soup and with the Fall weather coming the soup recipe is worth a repeat.

In the book, FRENCH WOMEN DON'T GET FAT by Mireille Guiliano, the author recommends a leek broth to drink before meals which she says is part of the French women's dietary habits that keep them from getting fat.  I will take 2 gallons of that broth, please.

This Dutch soup recipe contains pasta and cheese which could be left out if you just want a great broth to drink.  We found that eating soup before meals kept us from over eating during the meal.  On a cold day there is nothing better than a flavorful warm broth in a pretty pottery mug to warm your hands, body, and Soul.

My leeks for the soup pot.

Go to:  http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2010/10/blog-post.html for the recipe for this wonderful leek soup.

ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment