MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK

MICHIGAN COTTAGE COOK
SUMMER AT THE BEACH

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

BASIL IN THE SNOW

Last summer, by accident, I discovered Greek Columnar Basil "Lesbos".  It is also  called Aussie Sweetie.  The label tag, for what I found out is a unique basil, said Sweet Basil.  It soon became apparent that this particular plant was different from all the varieties of basil that I had planted in my herb pots on the deck.  While I was cutting back all the other basils to keep them from going to seed, this basil just kept growing taller.   In the Fall, it was the only basil still growing as the rest had gone to seed despite my effort.


After going through a number of web sites I found Greek Columnar Basil was the correct name for the plant that I had.  It also comes in a variegated form.  Columnar basil does not go to seed and has to be propagated by cuttings.  Therefore it just keeps growing into a taller and taller plant.  I love it and decided to try bringing it inside before the freeze hit.  It is doing very well in a West window. 


The basil on the right is doing much better than my poor banana tree.

I have found a mail order site for this Greek Columnar basil:  www.companionplants.com  or infor@companionplants.com   I ordered plants from this nursery last spring and was very happy with the plants and service.  If you love to grow different varieties and want a basil to use in the Fall, do check out "Lesbos".

No comments:

Post a Comment